Thursday, June 21, 2012

Advise Needed

Lately where I live there has been has been an increase of teenage trouble. Since school has gotten out the teenagers are hanging around the playground and parking lots more. Not usually a problem except some of them have been hanging with a guy named "Gouche" and picking up his bad habits. On three consecutive days two of the teens including Gouche have set fires with a couple middle school age students as on lookers. I know most of them are good kids, but until recently the teenagers have had a basketball court to go play on and it has kept them entertained. From what I have gathered the lady that lives next to the courts has complained that the ball was hitting her house and the owners of the court have shut it down to shut her up. The playground on site is off limits to the teenage crowd to play on because of their shear size, they are just way to big for the equiptment. Now in my opinion this is just not fair to the older kids, because now they just have no where to play and most aren't old enough to go to the pool with out a gaurdian, and all of their guardians have to either work or it could just mean they don't care what their kids do as long as they do it outside. I give the kids props for the fact they aren't sitting in the house in front of a gaming console all summer. I am seriously contimplating talking to the apartment complex manager about putting up a basketball goal somewhere near the playgrounds so the teenagers can be watched. My only problem is if I really should go to bat for these kids. When they hang around the playground they have a serious potty mouth and the preteens that are hanging around them are learning their bad habits. I'm not far off from their ages and still remember what it was like to be that age. Only difference is now I know that the younger generation always looked up to the older generation and I'm not sure I can get the guys to understand this. I could really use some advise. These kids are at that stage they can change and given the right guidence they can and will choose the right path to follow.

1 comment:

  1. I say give them the benefit of the doubt. If you feel it's right in your heart, and honestly believe it's the right thing to do, then do it. If something about it feels wrong, then don't. Then again, I'm a sucker when it comes to kids.

    ReplyDelete